Ronald A. Jones, PA, Attorney at Law
Common Law Marriage in Florida
About the Firm
Areas of Concentration
Directions to Office
Contact Us
Some Common Questions
Basic Estate Planning in Florida
Common Law Marriage in Florida
What do I do if I find my father had a gun?
Validity of out of state wills in Florida
Do I need to bring a probate?
Probate Process in Florida
Intestate Estates in Florida
Living Trust Alternatives
Duties of Personal Representative
Why Living Trusts Don't Avoid Probate in Florida
Will a revocable trust provide asset protection for me in Florida?
My father died and cut me out of the will
Can I contest or challenge a will?

I'm living with someone but I'm not married to them. Am I entitled to anything if they die?

Under most circumstances, no. Unless the leave you something in a will, or unless you come from a state that recognizes common law marriage and were living in a common law marriage in that state, Florida does not normally recognize common law marriage. The major exception to this is if you have been in a common law marriage in Florida continuously since 1968, when Florida changed the law. While there are some theories for recovering some money or property if someone who you are not married to dies, these are difficult to pursue in court and there is no guarantee that you will be able to recover anything. If you have questions about your rights you should consult a Florida attorney to explore your options.


Ronald A. Jones, PA, 15600 A S US Hwy 441 Summerfield FL (352) 347-2288